March 21st is National Single Parent’s Day. A 24-hour period set aside to acknowledge the more than 12 million men and women who work hard every day to raise happy, healthy and well adjusted children.
For all the single moms and dads celebrating this honorable day here are 5 stellar reasons why it’s good to be a single parent.
- Your house – your rules. You get to define how and what is permissible, and not, in your home.
- You get to define what constitutes special time for you and children. I love art and wanted to instill an appreciation for it in my daughters. Going to museums together became a ritual during my custodial time with my daughters.
- Single moms get to show your children how much you are capable of independent of a mate. Daughters learn how to take care of themselves physically and financially. You also have an important role in teaching boys how they should treat women.
- Single moms are very familiar with the skill and importance of creating a village. No one can do it all alone, nor should you. You get to guide your children on how to build a team whether it be in their personal or professional life.
- When your children are in your custody you have the opportunity to instill the values that are most important to you. For me it was integrity. I am proud to say that I raised two young women ~ who mean what they say and say what they mean~
To all Single Parents, enjoy your special day.
Guest Writer – Kerri Zane
Kerri is an Emmy award winning television executive producer, healthy living expert, single mom advisor, speaker, and author of “It Takes All 5: A Single Mom’s Guide to Finding the REAL One.” published by Morgan James, (November 2012). She is the family travel expert for Peter Greenberg Online, a regular contributor to What’s Up For Kids as well as various mommy blogs.