Today’s spring-cleaning is not the same today as in our mother and grandmothers’ day. Then the house was literally turned inside out with a schedule including, deep cleaning and polishing of all furniture, fresh wallpaper, painting, rug cleaning, fresh or new slipcovers, and more. If you do not recall all this fuss over winter’s ending, I am sure your elders have not too fond memories.
Yes. Spring does still conjure up thoughts of opening the windows and freshening up the house. So go for it with these quick tips to help you “spring” into action.
- Open windows to air out each rooms. While you’re there, quickly clean the window and ledges on the inside. You can plan a later day to tackle the outsides. Or hire a window cleaning service.
- Try using a light sprinkling of water on the bristles of a broom to “catch” more dust and dirt when sweeping. This works especially well on porches, decks and garage floors. Or try the new disposable pads on a stick method of dusting and wet cleaning.
- A telescoping duster is great for cobwebs in those high spots. When using a feather or “furry” dust catcher, try giving it a quick (light) spritz of furniture polish to catch the dust and not just push it around.
- Check out the cleaning supplies at your supermarket for great shower, tile and grout cleaning sprays & solutions. Also visit a local janitorial supply store for substantial and reasonably priced products.
- A swipe of a baby wipe or a spray of window cleaner is great to freshen up sinks & fixtures. Remember to change the kitchen sink sponge daily…yes daily. They can be a breeding ground for bacteria! Toss them into the dishwasher or washing machine or zap them in the microwave oven for two minutes.
- Keep cleaning supplies under each sink in a handy plastic caddie for easy access and quick daily clean-ups. It is easier to clean on the spot when the supplies are handy. Take care to prevent small children from getting into these areas.
- Window blinds can be a hassle to clean. A feather duster with a light spray of dusting spray will do well to collect the dust. Or hire a window blinds cleaning service.
That should get you started with the “new & easy” spring-cleaning. Now, reward your hard work with some fun in the sun! After all it IS Spring!