Spring cleaning today is not the same today as in our mother and grandmothers’ day. Then the house was literally turned inside out with a schedule including, deep cleaning and polishing of all furniture, fresh wallpaper, painting, cleaning wood floors, fresh or new slipcovers, and more.
If you do not recall all this fuss over winter’s ending, I am sure your elders have not too fond memories. That’s the way it was… “back then.”
Yes, Spring may still conger up thoughts of opening the windows and freshening up the house with carpet cleaning and maybe some new paint. If so…go for it with some simple tips to help you “spring” into action.
- Open windows to air out each room. While you’re there, quickly clean the window and ledges on the inside. You can plan a later day to tackle the outsides. Or hire a window cleaning service.
- Try dusting or vacuuming under beds and other furniture that usually gets a quick once-over on a regular basis.
- A telescoping duster is great for ceiling cobwebs and other high spots. A quick spray of polish on the duster will catch the dust and not just push it around.
- Check out the cleaning supplies at your supermarket for great shower, tile, and grout cleaning sprays & solutions. Also visit a local janitorial supply store for substantial and reasonably priced products.
- A swipe of a baby wipe or a spray of window cleaner is great to freshen up sinks & fixtures. Remember to change the kitchen sink sponge daily…yes daily. They can be a breeding ground for bacteria! Toss them into the dish washer or washing machine or zap them in the microwave oven for two minutes. Keep extras on hand.
- Keeping cleaning supplies under each sink, in a handy plastic caddie, for easy access and quick daily clean-ups. It is easier to clean on the spot when the supplies are handy. Take care to prevent small children from getting into these areas.
- Window blinds can be a hassle to clean. A feather duster with a light spray of dusting spray will do well to collect the dust. Or hire a window blinds cleaning service.
That should get you started with the “new & easy” spring-cleaning.
Now, reward your hard work with some fun in the sun! After all it IS Spring!
Ann Gambrell 3/2015