New Years is a time for love, or at least that’s what Hollywood wants us to believe. There is so much emphasis on welcoming the New Year with your man, but New Years doesn’t have to be about lovers. Make this New Years kid-centric.
- Throw a party. Throw an epic party for your single mom friends and their kids to ring in the New Year. Have everyone bring something yummy to eat and a game to play.
- Plan a craft. Share a crafting activity with your kids. It can be something as simple as giving the kids paper and markers to make New Years decorations. You could even plan to decorate sugar cookies.
- Make a time capsule. Start a new New Years tradition with a time capsule. Have all the kids write about what they loved in the last year and their hopes for the next year. Then next New Years you can open the time capsule and see what came true.
- Keep it safe. Celebrate the New Year with an air bubble jumping game. Use a roll of bubble wrap, white contact paper, markers, and some tape. Color the flat side of the bubble wrap. Tape down the paper to the floor and tape down the bubble wrap over it, creating a colorful and safe jumping space.
- Change your time zone. Set a time earlier in the evening to start the countdown. This ensures your kids get the rest they need without sacrificing any fun. Remember, your kids need New Years kisses too.
Whether you are newly single or have experienced many New Years as a single mom, you deserve to bring in the New Year cheering. 2014 is the year to live your Happily Even After! For more helpful single mom tips and information visit www.kerrizane.com
Guest Writer – Kerri Zane
Kerri is an Emmy award winning television executive producer, healthy living expert, single mom advisor, speaker, and author of “It Takes All 5: A Single Mom’s Guide to Finding the REAL One.” published by Morgan James, (November 2012). She is the family travel expert for Peter Greenberg Online, a regular contributor to What’s Up For Kids as well as various mommy blogs.