Yes! There is a HUGE difference. Historically, this is the time of year to think about what you would like to see happen in your life in the New Year.
These “thoughts” are typically referred to as resolutions. The problem with resolutions is that they are usually hopes, dreams and/or fantasies.
Goals are everything resolutions can be..…except with a plan!
Your goals may include making changes in your personal life, family, career, household, etc. If you have never set personal goals or have tried and failed, here are some tips to guide you on the road to success and a great new year ahead.
- Goal categories: Personal…Professional….Family/Relationships….Home/Environment.
- Write each category on a separate page in a journal or on a yellow pad and make a file. Now list your goals under each category. Family members may want also want to make their own lists. Great!
- Speak them so they become real and not just something you have been thinking about. Speak them to a trusted friend or to yourself….aloud!
- Now work them by setting a plan as to what it takes to accomplish the goal. Set deadlines for the steps to the completion.
- Mark the deadlines in your personal calendar or electronic organizer or in your computer to help you to stay on target.
- Stay focused by keeping your goals where you will see them regularly as a reminder. Talk about them to a trusted friend/encourager. Picture the goal at completion.
- Re-evaluate your goals periodically to adjust the timeline, change the goal or drop it for another goal. Life changes. It’s okay to alter your goals…after all they are your goal. Just don’t use this as a form of procrastination!
- Celebrate the completed steps to your goal and of course when the goal comes to fruition. Throw a party…invite me. I would love to share in this experience of accomplishment! You can do this. All it takes is a plan.
Go for it. You can do it and deserve it!