I think we all take our bodies for granted from time to time. And as both a teaching and motivating tool, facts about your body are fun to post on the refrigerator, share with your family and friends.
Did you know that……?
- Your brain triples in size between birth and adulthood until it weighs as much as the heart and lungs put together?
- In relation to body size, the human brain is larger than the brain of any animal on earth?
- The average adult’s skin spread out flat is large enough to cover a room 9 feet by 15 feet
- In an average lifetime of 70 years, a person sheds 441bs of skin
- Every minute your two kidneys, no larger than a fist, are hard at work filtering waste products and excess water from your blood
- A baby grows from a dot sized fertilized egg into a fully developing baby in the space of just 40 weeks
- Your lungs will have inhaled and exhaled enough air to fill either one of the two largest airships ever built one and a half times over
- Your heart will have beaten more than 2.5 billion times pumping enough blood around the body to fill the fuel tanks of 700 jumbo jets
- Your stomach and intestines will have digested the weight of six bull African elephants or more in food
It’s very easy when you’re unhappy with your weight and the way you look to objectify your body and treat it as though it was made up of separate parts that don’t work very well. The truth is your body is the best friend that you will ever have. It is the vehicle that you have been given that allows you to life your life on the planet. It is better than any dream car because it is absolutely unique and designed to your specifications.
You are important. You deserve the best. You deserve all the self-care you can give yourself so you can be healthy, strong and in great shape in body, mind and spirit. Remember: Health is a habit- not an event