We’ve been talking a lot on the 6 Week Beach Body Program about what to do after you lose the 5-15 pounds to keep it off and to keep getting results. I have come up with 5 “tricks” that I realize I practice all the time that you may not.
- A Shake a day– I have about 4 brands that I recommend for people to replace 1 meal with a high quality, nutrient dense shake. Most people rush one meal at least and would benefit both with sustained energy and reduction of empty calories by having one shake a day. You can have it at any meal- in fact last week I replaced dinner with a shake because I didn’t feel like cooking and my husband was out with his family for dinner. Breakfast is the most common time to have a shake but all that matters is when it is best for you.
- Exercise with a friend– not for every workout, but maybe 1-2 a week, schedule exercise with a partner. I find it very efficient to have girl time or friend time WHILE you are hiking, power walking, swimming, dancing or doing a circuit training. When I was dancing more, it was built into my life several times a week and I loved that. You will make it more important if you schedule with someone and you will be diligent in making it happen.
- Keep starch to once a day-breads, rice, pasta, crackers may have a bit of fiber but generally are calorically dense foods. Forget the food pyramid and adopt a caveman way of eating with protein, nuts, seeds , fruits and veggies. If you love your starch, have it only once a day. If you are willing, go gluten free or do the 2 week trial. You can download the list of foods containing gluten as well as an audio about it on my 30 Day JUMP Start Program at www.invisiblefitness.com
- Eat your biggest meal at lunch-We need the most amount of calories generally in the middle of the day. Again, I said generally so if you sleep til noon and work til 11, you will need to adjust your “middle of the day” time.
- Include cardio and resistance training in your workout-because a lot of cardio does not build muscle, you only benefit with calories burned from cardio while you are doing it and maybe up to 15-20 minutes after. I call cardio your short term plan. You burn calories in the now. But it won’t increase your metabolism. Resistance training is your long term weight loss plan that helps you keep the weight off, maintain a high metabolism and keeps you firm and tone looking.