STEP 1 – Wear a bright color (especially a color that you know makes you glow!) near your face. It magically brightens your face and reduces the appearance of dark circles. The brighter the color, the more they virtually disappear.
STEP 2 – Cut out salt. It helps your body not retain fluid, which helps diminish the appearance of dark circles. Even if you don’t salt your food, if you go out to eat a lot, restaurants tend to use too much salt.
STEP 3 – Get a better night’s sleep. My favorite “sleep recipe” (from my husband, Dr. Alan Christianson) is below.
Dr. Christianson’s Sleep Recipe:
- Wake early, get some intense exercise in direct sunlight. Early daytime sunlight is important for night time sleep.
- Eat small meals throughout the day to keep your blood sugar steady. If you’re missing meals or eating sugary junk all day your blood sugar will crash at night and you’ll wake up at 3 AM with your mind racing.
- Try zero caffeine for a few weeks. I promise you won’t die, but you might get a headache for a few days. Just don’t take Excedrin for it because it also has caffeine. And remember, it takes 36 hours to leave your body. If you don’t sleep well, even a little caffeine in the AM can be the culprit.
- Turn off the computer and TV an hour before bedtime. **This one is really hard for me! – Kirin**
- Now relax in a bath or shower about 8 PM. This will help to relax your body and slow your brain waves.
- Lower your home’s thermostat to 72-74 degrees by 9 PM.
- Sip on chamomile tea and take 150-250 mg of magnesium.
- Make a list. Take 5-10 minutes to jot down all those things you need to remember for tomorrow.
- Dim or turn off your lights. Turn on a single reading lamp and read some light fiction, inspirational stories or spiritual literature. No current events!
- Lights out! For real, make it as dark as you can in the room you sleep in. This is important.
Try these steps to dramatically reduce dark circles under your eyes. Best of luck!