No secret, I’m a big fan of farmer’s markets. I especially enjoy going this time of year because of the tomatoes. Yes, I LOVE these babies that taste sweeter than anything you can buy in the “regular” grocery store. Of course, many of you grow your own and quite frankly, I’m jealous. Unfortunately, I did not inherit my dad’s green thumb, so instead, you’ll find me trolling the aisles of the market coveting the romas, beefsteaks, cherries & heirlooms. When I get my hands on these beauties, I LOVE to make salsa. You can’t beat FRESH salsa with super sweet tomatoes. My recipe’s got a little “kick” just enough to spice up your meal. Perfect with chips, tacos, fish, grilled chicken, tri-tip and more. Not only does it taste fabulous, it adds gorgeous color to any dinner table. Viva La Sassy Salsa!
Nancy’s Sassy Salsa
- 6 medium to large tomatoes diced ( I LOVE the heirloom variety)
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced & seeded
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 TB fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes~ I like to add the canned tomatoes along with the fresh ~something about the acid from the canned variety helps blend the spicy flavors. You may opt NOT to do this and add 2 more fresh tomatoes. I’ve tried it both ways (for YEARS) and I still like adding the canned.
Combine all ingredients and let sit for at least one hour before serving. Even BETTER if you make the night before so the flavors and spices can blend.